Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Back home...

I am back in Canada now. This will most likely be my last post. I may try and add some photos to this blog at some stage, but right now it seems a little unlikely.

Madrid was fantastic. It was really hot, but not humid, so we could still do a lot of sightseeing without getting tired from the heat. We got to Madrid on Sunday. Our hotel was pretty nice. It was a four star hotel and we had a great view of Madrid from the balcony. We checked in to the hotel and decided to look for a place to eat. This proved to be very difficult as lots of places were closed. We finally managed to find a submarine place.

Afterwards we went to the Retiro Park. This is apparently what everyone in Madrid does on a Sunday afternoon. They have loads of performers and vendors selling stuff. It was quite good. Monday morning, we went shopping. Later that evening, we went to the botanical gardens and watched some old couple make out. Before you think we're pervs, it wasn't intentional. They just sat in front of us and started making out. We also took an 'illumination tour' of Madrid that night. Believe me when I say that this was not as exciting as the brochure lead us to believe. It was highly repetitive and not very informative. Our guide basically just pointed out the sights and listed dates of when they were built. Very disappointing overall.

We went out for churros afterwards. These are the Spanish equivalent of donuts apparently. They were salty though, but it was OK because you dipped them in chocolate.

For our last day in Madrid, we went to a convent. It was really interesting and I've never been to a convent before. The only downside was the tour was completely in Spanish, so I had no clue what we were being shown. Afterwards, we went to the Plaza Mayor and then the Royal Palace, which I thought was fantastic. I enjoyed seeing all of the state rooms. They were wonderful. Everything you would imagine a palace to be.

Spain was a fabulous trip overall.

On Wednesday, Paul and I headed to Castlebar. Castlebar is a great town. Everyone is really friendly. There isn't much to see in Castlebar, but Paul and I went to a pub and walked around the town for a bit on Thursday. The only annoying thing is that it kept raining HEAVILY on and off. And I didn't have my umbrella. I was really annoyed.

We got back in to Dublin on Friday. I went out to the Outback that night for my last chicken wings there. Saturday, was my leaving/our engagement party at the Turk's Head. Before, Paul, Arianna, Julie, Carl and I went to Wagamama's for dinner. I will miss that place. I didn't think the food was particularly all that great, but I always enjoyed the atmosphere anyway. Loads of people turned up that night. About 20-25 I'd say. It was a great night overall. But it also made me sad, because I knew it would be the last night like that in a long while.

On Sunday, I had dinner with Paul's family. And then I headed off to the Old Mill for one last pint.

My flight back to Toronto wasn't bad at all. I watched Madagascar on the plane. Tried to sleep, but didn't really succeed. The stopover was annoying because I had to retransfer my bags and they were heavy. But it was nice to get back.

But I really miss Dublin... a lot....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home